2020 Season Update
The MSSL board recently released guidelines for teams to consider regarding the 2020 Summer Season. Amongst these considerations are:
- Championship and All-Stars Meets have been cancelled. Only dual meets will occur, if pools re-open
- Social distancing practices MUST be followed, which could include the inability for parents to view the meet in person (meet would be recorded and posted on team website for viewing afterward), shorter meets with fewer events, and only using alternate lanes and limiting the number of swimmers in each lane during practice.
Our summer league is built on the involvement of our families and the camaraderie of the team. The guidelines presented would severely limit the ability for our swimmers to participate fully in the league experience.
Based on the information above, the SV Sea Dragons Board has made the decision to cancel the season for the summer of 2020. We know that this is saddening news to many of you, and we are very sorry for the inconvenience. We hope to see you next year at the pool under normal conditions! Stay safe and healthy!
Due to the uncertainty of Covid-19 and the status of pool facilities, our season is still uncertain. The following updates are current from the Executive Board as of March 31, 2020:
- The season is pushed back to tentatively begin in late May or early June in order to get insurance in place AND if pools are reopened.
- Plan to run 3-4 weeks of practices and as many meets as possible.
- Dual/tri meet schedule that is posted may change depending upon which teams are willing to participate in meets this summer.
- Most likely the 2020 division championship and all star meets will be cancelled
- The definitive MSSL Executive Board's decision regarding the 2020 MSSL season to be made and reported to all league teams on May 1st.
As a result, we ARE taking registrations with the positive mindset that the 2020 season will occur.
Frequently Asked Questions
IS THIS A YEAR-ROUND SWIM TEAM? No, we are a seasonal, summer team included as part of the Maverick Summer Swim League.
HOW LONG IS THE SEASON? Practices begin at the beginning of May. Our meets begin the last week of May/beginning of June and run through the beginning of July. (See the Meets tab for our meet schedule)
WHERE ARE PRACTICES HELD? Our team practices evenings at Smithson Valley High School swimming pool.
WHAT AGES CAN SWIM? We register boys and girls, ages 5-18. Age is determined as of June 1, 2020.
ARE TRY-OUTS REQUIRED? We are a summer-league competitive team; therefore, we recommend that all swimmers can swim at minimum the length of a 25 yard pool without any assistance or grabbing of lane lines. We do not currently require an additional try-out to be a part of the team.
WHAT IS THE REGISTRATION FEE? WHAT IS INCLUDED? Registration fees are $120 for the first swimmer, $100 for the second swimmer in the family, and $80 for any additional family members. Registration includes a team t-shirt for each swimmer, swim cap, and meet fees. Additional t-shirts for family members, extra swim caps, and team swim suit are available for an additional price. Our team will have a suit fitting day with our sponsor, Swim Freak, for purchasing suits and other gear such as goggles and practice swim caps.
WHEN IS REGISTRATION? Registration will open no later than March 20. Registration is online only.
IS THERE A CAP ON PARTICIPATION? Yes, this year we will have to enforce a registration cap once the roster reaches 200 swimmers.
HAVE ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS? EMAIL US anytime!